Translate

Saturday, June 17, 2023

Is Privacy a Thing of the Past?

 We've all heard the advice to be cautious about what we post online, as it can have long-lasting consequences. However, do we truly comprehend the reasoning behind this warning? Some may assume it means refraining from sharing compromising photos, avoiding using profanity, or even just not causing embarrassment to one's family. Yet, the issue runs much deeper. With the ease of signing up for internet and social media accounts, we often unknowingly relinquish our personal data and privacy by agreeing to terms of use without fully understanding the implications. In a recent discussion, we explored the topic of privacy and reflected on our feelings regarding the lack of control over our data. We also considered how this affects our internet usage and interactions.

To begin answering, let's share a question asked by a peer on Twitter.

When I came across the question, it reminded me of the numerous updates that I have had on my iPhone, and I couldn't help but chuckle. I recall receiving the terms and conditions via email, hoping to read through them before agreeing, but I never do. I simply scroll to the bottom and hit "Agree." I clearly remember trying to read through the terms of use once, but the technical jargon included in the Apply section had me Googling too much to comprehend it, so I gave up. Reyman argues that this is a common issue as many users lack the technical knowledge to make informed choices, resulting in them allowing their data to be used without their consent (Reyman p. 522). This is a significant concern for creatives who want to retain ownership of their work on a specific platform, but the lengthy and complex social media terms act as a barrier that must be overcome to ensure they receive proper compensation.

The rise of data mining has impacted my internet usage, although not to the extent of some people I know. With the increasing fear of consequences, individuals have become more cautious about leaving a digital footprint. As an example, upon searching for myself on Google, the top results show my college track record. This information doesn't trouble me personally, but it can be alarming for individuals who stumble upon sensitive details such as previous addresses, phone numbers, and work history. However, what's even more concerning is when you google something and then see advertisements for it on your social media feeds. This realization dawned on me when I saw something I had searched for on Instagram pop up on my Facebook feed. At the time, I couldn't explain why it was happening or what it was called.

I find Web 2.0 to be a valuable resource as it provides me with easy access to information. Additionally, it allows me to keep in touch with loved ones who are not geographically close. However, I have decided to stop using my Alexa due to concerns I have discovered about its recording and storage capabilities. I believe it is important to thoroughly research devices such as Alexa or Google Home before bringing them into your home. By understanding what you can and cannot control as a user, you can make more informed decisions. It is worth considering whether our desire for convenience will always outweigh our desire for the latest technology.

What is your opinion on the topic of privacy in relation to the use of the internet and social media?

Reyman, J. (2013). User data on the social web: Authorship, agency, and appropriation.Links to an external site. College English, 75(5), 513-533.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Self-doubt

This semester has been the most challenging time for me, as I've had to put in a lot of effort to prove my capabilities. Juggling work, ...