Translate

Saturday, May 27, 2023

Is RSS Feeds the Answer?

How are folks juggling multiple social media applications and websites? I was excited to create a 'scholarly Twitter' because my following on the personal on can get crazy with the posts at times, lol. Then we were tasked with creating an Instragram. I immediately knew I was going to use my personal one, because how does one keep up? Is it possible to have all these apps managed on one website? Well I don't know the answer, but what I do know is that we got a solution for reading our class blogs and that solution is RSS feeds.

I am able to read all of the class blogs from one website. The only drawback is not being able to comment with visiting the blog (not a big deal) but it would be convenient. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if I am the one not using it correctly, lol! But now, I read a post from VD and saw that we are working with Reddit in week 3. Is there an end to the madness of social media? Could TikTok be on the horizon? I am excited yet, anxious about the possibilities :).


*Creating accounts for this class is optional but I'm diving it head first to gain first hand experiences, not only for for myself, but also my little ones. That way I am able to help them navigate the world of Web 2.0 or Web 3.0 when my 1 year old gets older.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, great questions! I can't speak for others, but I can answer what I have been doing! As a Mac user, I am generally using safari, but I also have google chrome on my computer. I use safari for all of my personal activities, and google chrome for school items. I have tabs open with the different social media sites I use for school, and bookmark the important items. This also means these bookmarks carry over to my work computer when I check a blog or twitter on my lunch break. Using two separate browsers for personal/school life helps keep me organized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have a mac so I might actually explore this. I've converted fully to Chrome on the Mac because Safari wouldn't allow me to sign into the blog and comment. But great idea. I'll let you know how it's going for me once I implement your suggestion. Thanks :)

      Delete
  2. How does one keep up? I haven't quite figured that out yet, but I'm trying to develop a system. We're only in Week 2 and I know that more tools will be added. I'm so grateful for the RSS feed that allows us to keep up with the class blogs. It's a lifesaver! I am also using my personal Instagram, because I can't imagine having to create a new one on top of the new Twitter account I just created. I wasn't a Twitter user prior to this class, so getting on Twitter is apart of my study/homework "to-do" list for the week, until I get used to checking it regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! The RSS feed is a life saver. Accessing everyone's blog week 1 without them being in a central area was driving me nuts, hahah!

      Delete
  3. I almost posted a similar topic to this one because I am somewhat struggling. I once downsized to keeping a Facebook and Instagram account to just Instagram. I could not handle having multiple social media...it felt like my brain was overstimulated and I was cognitively overloaded. Yet, here we are using it for class! I like the RSS feed. I feel like we could possibly imitate the same with social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. I am sure (I haven't tested it or researched it) that there is a way to narrow down your feed to selected individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I will look into it. Because i'm sure there are folks who prefer the simple life like myself. But I'll keep you posted on if I find something for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! It is a lot of work to keep up in this course. I've got my personal, this course under a pseudonym, and my internship's logins to keep track of. So, I use Google Chrome and switch the profiles. That seems to be the easiest. And I don't know if anyone else uses OneNote but it is a lifesaver for keeping me organized.
    As far as the RSS, I do wish there was a commenting feature without having to navigate to the blog itself. That would be pretty nice; however, I do like being able to link the blog post directly to other social media sites from the RSS feed. Maybe there are other RSS services out there with commenting capability and we just have to look for them.

    ReplyDelete

Self-doubt

This semester has been the most challenging time for me, as I've had to put in a lot of effort to prove my capabilities. Juggling work, ...