Translate

Saturday, July 15, 2023

Social Media in a Professional Setting, Taboo?



This blog is inspired by a discussion topic posted by our professor which asked, What differences do you see between designing for social media use in classroom uses/spaces vs professional uses/spaces vs personal uses/spaces? What similarities carry across contexts. Even though I didn't participate in the conversation, I wanted to share my experience of suggesting that our IDs become part of a community that could aid in resource sharing and professional development.

During my time as a classroom teacher, I always believed in collaborating with my colleagues. We shared resources and had discussions on how to cater to our students' learning needs. These conversations led to collaborative efforts with other educators and involvement from our leadership team. Our main objective was to ensure that our students received the best possible learning experience, which would enable them to apply the knowledge gained. However, after transitioning to the world of instructional design, I noticed a lack of collaboration. It seemed as though individuals were hesitant to reach out and share resources, even if they were working on similar projects.

I once asked my manager if my colleagues and I could join an instructional design community on Facebook. However, my request was met with disapproval as my manager believed that true professionals don't waste time on social media and should instead focus on creating content to improve work issues. This response caused a shift in my mindset and work habits. Whenever I was tasked with a project, I would create resources from scratch if I couldn't find them within the organization. This approach was time-consuming, but I believed it was necessary to build in extra time into the project plan. Unfortunately, this mentality caused burnout and affected my work-life balance, leading to mental struggles. As a result, I eventually left that job.

Many older individuals believe that social media should only be used personally and not for professional purposes. However, this is not entirely accurate. Through the community I have built in this class over the past 9 weeks, I have gained a lot of knowledge and experience. I wish more people were open to this kind of opportunity. In my Intro to Instruction Systems class, I learned that conducting research within and outside of the organization for materials prior to creating anything from scratch is considered best practice.

6 comments:

  1. It is fascinating that this is the world of IDs. I have never worked in that space, but it is quite the opposite in my world as a computer scientist. We believe in sharing as much as possible. In fact, I tell my students to use as many resources as possible so they aren’t creating everything from scratch. In that same breath, the company I worked for as a developer blocked most social media sites. This was for productivity reasons, but it was removing some potential resources. We need to learn much about the power of social media in professional spaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would think this would be the stance in the ID world. There is so much to gain from sharing resources.

      Delete
  2. That is a strange organizational view. Maybe they saw it as you using Facebook at work instead of working? Joining a community is strictly up to you as an individual regardless of where you work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brett, very strange. The things is they never provided any avenues for professional development. Since I was part of a community that I felt continues to help me I wanted to share that resource. But it was frowned upon.

      Delete
  3. You know what - i actually feel related! T.T~ Some of my fellows have been complaining that they are wasting time on Tiktok and that I should quit the platform as well, meanwhile, i found that i learnt so much on Tiktok, and whenever I'm sharing a good Tiktok content to them, they are like, "Tiktok again? How many hours this time?". I personally feel attacked and eventually quit that habit. It's not until this class that I started to feel safe sharing what I learnt on Tiktok again. That being said, having a supportive learning network is very important to accelerate our growth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!! I am so glad you found the joy in sharing TikTok again :). I still haven't downloaded the app or create an account, but my friends and colleagues are always sharing videos with me and I welcome them. Everyone consumes information differently so it doesn't hurt to be open and receptive.

      Delete

Self-doubt

This semester has been the most challenging time for me, as I've had to put in a lot of effort to prove my capabilities. Juggling work, ...