Translate

Friday, June 2, 2023

Social Butterfly Challenge - Am I a Social Butterly?

This week i've truly enjoyed the introduction of the badges and challenges. I wrote a blog about how motivating they can be for me. So of course I had to see if there are other folks talking about badges on Twitter. Maybe something that shows the pros and cons. Here is what Amy posted and I couldn't agree more. Of course as adult learners you know what you need to do to earn a badge and if you don't then you won't get one so the let down isn't as bad.

There have been studies on the effects of badges in the K-12 school system and the results are as you can imagine. Frankie's Blog Journal not only provides the resource but also elaborates on the appreciation for receiving the blog master badge this week.  

As far the challenges, I felt myself getting a bit excited and competitive. Then I remembered, hmm this will be done on social media. Will I step up to the challenge or back down? Will i finally transition from lurker to contributor? Who knows. But at least Christine have given me the best excuse for posting randomly, lol. 


Ever wondered how it felt to transition from a lurker to a contributor in a community you've been a part of? Well Web 2.0 Journal's blog is the place to be. While we are on the topic of lurker vs. contributor, what does it really mean to be active? Can a lurker be an active participant in web 2.0? Or does the lurker have to eventually become a contributor to be considered active? I would start with Bits and Pieces blog before formulating an answer :).


How are you using social media apps and sites to be social?

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious about the badge system in non K-12 organizations for employees. With the right incentives and training, they've been successful in some areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I wish I knew about these when I taught. Definitely would have made a lot of things easier for sure.

      Delete

Self-doubt

This semester has been the most challenging time for me, as I've had to put in a lot of effort to prove my capabilities. Juggling work, ...