Translate

Sunday, June 11, 2023

Crowdsourcing : A Reflection

 This week we read an article on crowdsourcing. At first, I was like, "what is crowdsourcing?" I have never heard the term before. But my immediate thought went to Gofundme. This is a way folks reach out to a large audience to chip in, whatever they can afford, toward a big goal. Once a started to read the article and it mentioned "crowdfunding" I noticed I wasn't far off. However,  I was definitely interested in how to implement crowdsourcing within the classroom. Before I share my thoughts I wanted to define crowdsourcing. Crowdsourcing is the "practice of acquiring information or task inputs from a large number of people." (Wilson p. 400)

As a former educator, I always wanted to try new things and think outside the box especially when teaching Math and Science. My students typically come into my classroom already defeated because they don't have the best relationship with either subject. Thus, my approach was very different from other educators I knew. If a section goal or lesson objectives could be accomplished using a hands-on project or student-led project instead of an exam, I would opt for those instead. I am a firm believer that students learn in many ways than just sitting an exam. Moreover, students being able to apply the skills necessary to achieve mastery is just as important, and quite possibly, could assist in knowledge retention. 

Reading this article gave me so much hope for what's to come. It also had me reflecting on my years as an undergrad and how I wished my biology professors implemented a project like the one mentioned. Crowdsourcing can be used at any level with the proper guidance and an educator that is willing to think outside the box and go against the "norm."

What has been your experience with crowdsourcing? 

How were you able to distill the information gathered?

Wilson, M. C. (2018). Crowdsourcing and self-instruction: Turning the production of teaching materials Into a learning objectiveJournal of Political Science Education, 14(3), 400-408. doi:10.1080/15512169.2017.1415813

No comments:

Post a Comment

Self-doubt

This semester has been the most challenging time for me, as I've had to put in a lot of effort to prove my capabilities. Juggling work, ...